A heat pump that is properly maintained and operating efficiently will save you energy and money. There are several things you can do to ensure that your heat pump cooling system is working efficiently, potentially prolonging its life.
Setting back your heat pump thermostat should be avoided if this causes your backup heating to come on, because backup heating systems usually cost you more to run. Try not to have your indoor fan running continuously, as this can degrade your heat pump’s performance. If you need to keep it running, your system should use a high-efficiency fan motor with a variable speed. Also, it’s better if you can operate the system using the thermostat’s “auto” fan setting.
Maintaining Your Heat Pump Cooling System
Like most other HVAC systems, your heat pump cooling system needs regular upkeep in order to keep it running efficiently. This could mean the difference of up to 25 per cent of your fan’s energy consumption. Here are some tips on maintaining your heat pump:
- Filters should be cleaned or changed every one to three months.
- Have your system tuned up every spring. Your HVAC technician will make sure everything is in order and the coils, filter and fan are clean.
- Turn off your condenser occasionally to clean it, and remove any vegetation or clutter that might be getting in the way. Straighten any fins that are bent, and clean the supply and return registers in your home.
During your annual tune-up, your technician will carry out various checks such as:
- Inspecting the ducts, blower, filters and indoor coil to ensure that they are free of dirt and obstructions.
- Diagnosing and sealing any leaks in your ducts.
- Measuring your airflow.
- Checking for refrigerant leaks.
- Ensuring that your refrigerant level is optimal.
- Checking terminals and cleaning and tightening connections.
- Applying nonconductive coating.
- Lubricating your motors and checking belts for any wear.
- Checking your electric control and thermostat are both working effectively.
For more information, contact Gulf Coast Air Systems. We serve homeowners in Brandon, Lithia, Riverview, Plant City, Valrico and Sun City Center.