Winter us upon us and what is your home’s best defense against winter? It’s to make sure that your home has an efficient and effective heating system. Giving your HVAC systems regular TLC with regular maintenance is the best way to make sure your systems are performing at their highest level.
Most HVAC maintenance should be done by a professional HVAC technician. Here’s a check list of some of the maintenance tasks a HVAC technician should perform during a tune up.
- Check the thermostat settings: Making sure the thermostat settings are working properly is important to ensure that the cooling and heating system keeps you comfortable when you’re home and saves you energy when you’re not.
- Inspect and tighten all electrical connections: Any broken, loose or disconnected connections can mean your system isn’t working properly or safely. Not fixing these issues quickly can reduce the life of major components. It’s also important to measure voltage and current on motors.
- Lubricate all moving parts: Any parts that lack lubrication increases friction in motors and decreases your system’s overall efficiency. Without making sure your system is regularly lubricated, moving parts within the system will wear out much faster.
- Check and inspect the condensate drain: Check your home’s air conditioner, furnace and/or heat pump to make sure the drain for condensation hasn’t been obstructed. If the drain is plugged, water damage, high humidity levels and mold or bacteria may grow as a result.
- Check the controls for the system: To ensure proper and safe operation of your system, the startup and shutdown cycles should be checked. They are usually found in the thermostat settings.
- Check or replace the air filter: Replacing the air filter is a regular service that you can do yourself. But if you don’t do it frequently, your HVAC technician can replace it for you and show you how you can perform the task yourself.
If it’s time for your seasonal tune up or your annual maintenance and repairs, give Gulf Coast Air Systems a call at (813) 689-2082.