Simple Attic Insulation Tips to Boost Air Conditioning Efficiency, Comfort, and Energy Savings
Some basic attic insulation methods can boost air conditioning efficiency. There’s no doubt about it; next to sealing cracks and holes around windows and doors, installing attic insulation is one of the smartest steps you can take to “button up” your home, conserve energy and help ensure that you stay warm in winter and cool in summer while inside your Brandon or Sun City Center area home.
But if you’re like many people, you may think that installing insulation is a job that is (pardon the pun) over your head. But it doesn’t have to be. By following some simple insulation tips, you can handle this job like a pro.
Choose the Right Type of Insulation:
- You don’t have to use the same type of insulation that’s in place now. For example, you can install fiberglass batts or blankets over loose-fill insulation – or the other way around. If you choose to put fiberglass over loose fill, just make sure to remove the paper or foil backing. And remember that loose fill can be a bit tricky because it requires a blowing machine, which sometimes calls for the experienced hand of a professional.
- Do your homework on attic insulation. Consult this handy guide from the U.S. Department of Energy before you go shopping at your local home improvement store.
Heed the R-levels:
- Remember that the higher the R-level, the better the thermal protection of the attic insulation.
- In general, it’s best to use R-38 insulation at a depth of between 10 and 14 inches.
Err on the side of adding more insulation rather than less:
- As a rule of thumb, if you can see the floor joists in the attic, you should add more attic insulation.
- Distribute the insulation evenly, and always double-check your work. It’s easy to add more insulation in the middle of the attic while shortchanging areas along the eaves.
You might be pleasantly surprised to find that you enjoy installing attic insulation more than you thought. But that doesn’t mean you won’t encounter questions along the way. In this case, don’t hesitate to contact us at Gulf Coast Air Systems. We’ll be delighted to consult with you by phone or pay you a visit so that your home is “buttoned up” the way it should be.