Looking for ways to save energy that apply specifically to Florida residents? These top 10 energy-saving tips will help trim your monthly utility bills and regain control of energy use in your home.
- Cool to only 78 degrees. Running the ceiling fan will make the room feel 4 degrees cooler while consuming 97 percent less energy than running the air conditioner. Just remember to turn off the fan when you leave the room.
- Make use of a programmable thermostat. This proven energy saver allows you to set the temperature back while you’re away. Program setbacks to 82 degrees or warmer while you’re gone at work all day.
- Reduce the water heater temperature. Many water heaters are automatically set to 140 degrees. However, by setting it to 120 degrees, you get plenty of hot water while saving energy on water heating each month.
- Invest in an energy-efficient dishwasher. This investment uses less water than washing dishes by hand. Plus, high-power energy-efficient dishwashers are able to remove stuck-on food. This eliminates the need to pre-rinse dishes, saving you even more on water heating costs.
- Use the washing machine wisely. Adjust the water level to the amount of clothing you’re washing, especially when using hot water. Then finish every batch with a cold rinse.
- Clean the lint filter before drying clothes. Your dryer works more efficiently if the lint filter is cleaned before every batch.
- Use the auto-detect dryer function. This prevents you from forgetting about the drying clothes and uses less energy than timed drying.
- Keep the A/C air filter clean. This is one of the energy-saving tips that keeps on giving. A clean air filter reduces air conditioning costs, helps prevent early system failure and keeps indoor air cleaner.
- Limit how long you run the pool pump. In the summer, run the pool pump no longer than six hours per day. In the winter, run it only four hours per day.
- Install low-flow showerheads and faucets. The recommended flow is 2.5 gallons per minute or less.
For more energy-saving tips, please contact Gulf Coast Air Systems in Tampa today.