Save Energy Dollars Today – Quick and Easy!
Setting aside a little time to start saving energy dollars in a climate like ours can add up to big savings over a year. Although winters are mild, summers are long, hot and humid, driving up your energy bills. These maintenance tips show you how to make some simple changes:
- Turn the water heater down to 120 degrees F. Next to cooling your home, water heating is likely your second highest energy expense. Dropping the temperature also extends the life of the water heater, especially if you drain a few quarts several times a year to remove the dissolved solids that collect at the bottom of the tank.
- Turn the heated dry setting for the dishwasher off and open up the door when it’s finished. The retained heat will dry your dishes. You also can turn on the water heating feature for the dishwasher to compensate for lowering the temperature of the water heater. It takes far less energy to heat a few gallons of water in the dishwasher than having the water heater maintain a high temperature.
- Start saving energy dollars by checking the A/C air filter monthly. Change it when it’s dirty. Dirty filters slow airflow through the air handler, forcing your system to run longer to cool your home.
- Have your cooling system checked once a year by an HVAC contractor. Air conditioning your home is likely your highest energy expense, and a well-maintained system uses less energy. If you haven’t had your ductwork inspected, ask the HVAC technician to do so. Leaks can occur at any time and will drive up costs considerably.
- Change out the lighting in your home to CFL or LED bulbs. Not only do they use less electricity, they also emit much less heat. Opt for LEDs in lieu of CFLs for bathroom and closet lights, since LEDs aren’t affected by turning them on and off frequently.
For more information to help you start saving energy dollars, contact the pros at Gulf Coast Air Systems. We provide exceptional HVAC services for Riverview, Brandon, Valrico, Plant City, Lithia and Sun City Center.